Sunday, January 27, 2008

Barred Owl Photos

Glenn Hendry, a friend from the University of Guelph sent me some photos he took today at Ken Reid Conservation Area just north of Lindsay, Ontario of a Barred Owl. This is now the third series of photographs he has sent me of a species that is on my most-wanted list, starting with Bohemian Waxwing, then Pine Grosbeak (which I am determined to see), and now these great shots of the Barred Owl (which I am going to look for on the Leslie Street Spit this coming Saturday). I will post the results of the TOC winter gull trip along Sunnyside Park soon.









4 comments:

Jeremy Hatt said...

As a quick follow-up, you can now see the last photo here on the OFO photos page. Congrats Glenn!

Backcountry Balkwills said...

These photos are beautiful! It is really neat to hear the call of the Barred Owl when you are camping further north in their territory

Unknown said...

Hi there. Great pictures, and I have heard the call of a Barred Owl many times out camping, but never seen one. I live in Toronto, and this past Sunday however, my wife, Jean, and I finally came upon a Barred Owl in Rouge National Park, near Markham, Ontario. This was the second time in six weeks that we have come upon, and filmed, an owl out in the wilds. The first was a Saw-Whet Owl. Prior to these two sightings, we had never seen an owl in its natural habitat. Needless to say, it has been an exciting six weeks. Our pictures and video of the Barred Owl sighting are posted on our blog at: http://frametoframe.ca/photo-essay-barred-owl-sighting-markham-ontario/

Our pictures and video of the Saw-Whet Owl sighting are at: http://frametoframe.ca/photo-essay-northern-saw-whet-owl-sighting/

Jeremy Hatt said...

Hi Bob,

I saw your photo series of the Saw-whet through another blog I believe and loved them! Great photos of a beautiful (and of course, cute) owl. I love this time of year for owls and will be trying for Short-eared Owl in Essex County in the next while.

Probably won't get the excitement of the Great Gray Owl from last year near Kingsville but a few Long-eared Owls, a Short-eared Owl, and a Snowy would make me pretty happy!