Monday, May 05, 2008

Mottled Duck....there's still hope

A helpful Ontbirds post by Bob Curry and Glenda Slessor tells me that the Mottled Duck is still at Hillman Marsh as of May 5th. As Marianne tells me, this is probably the first record for not only the Pelee Birding Circle but for Ontario and Canada as well. That means it's the biggest sighting since the Neotropic Cormorant of 2005. I'm starting to develop a nervous twitch as I anxiously check my hotmail hoping that another sighting will appear telling me the duck is still around. Only 4 more days until I go home. The optimist in me wonders where a Mottled Duck would decide to go. It's not as if it's migrating. It's going to be hard-pressed to find a mate. Saturday, May 10 will be the deciding day. I see myself spending my first day of birding at Hillman Marsh desperately searching...just 4 more days, 4 more days, 4 more days.

As an added bonus to some of those searching for the Mottled Duck, a Mississippi Kite made an appearance. My last sighting for a Mississippi Kite is also my first...May 6, 2000. Another painful miss! And how nice would it be to be able to take a trip to try to see the adult male Scissor-tailed Flycatcher?! I love spring migration!!

1 comment:

Blake A. Mann said...

HI Jeremy,
I hope the duck stays until Sunday evening when I'll be at Hillman. I have next week off and will be at Pelee on Monday!
Some quality birds around this spring!