Monday, July 07, 2008

Lifer! White Admiral

On June 28, the day I went on a retreat with the Toronto Ornithological Club to Barrie (more on this soon), Hugh Currie and I decided to take a short birding trip after the retreat. We took a detour to a marshy area where there was rumoured to be a pair of Wilson's Phalaropes but didn't have much luck in the birding department. However, I did get to see a new butterfly for my list: White Admiral. It's one heck of a beautiful insect and reminded me that summer can be good for birds, but it's great for butterflies. I hope to get over to High Park a few more times to check out some of the areas that are good for butterflies there. Last summer, I found a couple new species and tallied a good list for the park.

2 comments:

Backcountry Balkwills said...

I love White Admirals. They are actually subspecies of the Red Spotted Purple...but I think Whtie Admirals are waaay prettier. :)

Jeremy Hatt said...

I'm considering it a lifer based on the extreme differences lol. Well, a sub-lifer I guess you could call it :D