Tuesday, January 12, 2010

High Park - January 12, 2010

My camera is on the fritz. Considering its price, however, and being my last purchase from Wal-Mart before I boycotted that chain 3 years ago, I have to admit, it's been a faithful little piece of technology. It now lays useless and collecting dust somewhere behind my computer but it served its purpose.

My cellphone camera can hardly be considered a camera at all, its pictures reminding us of the year 1814 when Joseph Nicephore Niepce took the first ever photographic image, requiring 8 hours of light exposure. The photo later faded.

Therefore, I do not have a picture from today's journey through High Park, a shame since the ducks along the creek north of Grenadier Pond were close enough to get decent shots, regardless of zoom lenses. So instead, here are a few silly photos of a Tasneem and I enjoying lunch in the park in a much more comfortable time of year...a time of year I am currently yearning for what with the lack of suitable winter attire. If you have seen me in the last few months, you'll also notice a shocking absence of long hair in these photos!







Today was simply a beautiful day for a walk. The wind lowered the temperature a few too many degrees but once in the comfort of the trees-as-wind-barriers, I was able to enjoy the quiet, lonely moments when a chickadee feeds a few feet away from your head, a cardinal makes its aggressive-sounding call notes from a nearby bush, a distant drum of a tree trunk indicates a Downy Woodpecker, and a Red-breasted Nuthatch descends a branch high above. The highlight was the aforementioned creek full of marsh ducks, though.

Being one of the few areas of open water in the park, the creek attracts a number of Mallards, both wild-types and freak-shows, strangely bred birds doubled in size, with off-colours, and deep bellies. There are 3 birds, in fact, that I recognized from last year in the park, all year residents that have become familiar enough to me that I search them out whenever I visit.

However, my target bird was a single Northern Pintail drake, which I eventually found after a thorough search from various vantage points. For most of my visit, he had his head tucked into his mantle but on the occasion that a leash-restrained dog barked or a pair of gorgeous horses clomped by carrying mounted police, he would become alert and provide great views. The Pintail was joined by a Wood Duck drake, the only two species apart from Mallard.

I'm now in the warmth of my apartment dealing with canceled credit card matters and furrowing my brows over overcharged internet access but on my next day off, I'm hoping to get down to the waterfront. I unfortunately had to miss the Waterfowl Inventory this year so I want to make up for it with a nice, long walk along Lake Ontario (probably in the Humber Bay East/West area).

In other news, my ordered book arrived in the mail last week! Where to Birdwatch in Scotland by Mike Madders. It looks great so far, with detailed descriptions of specific areas to bird as well as a calendar of dates marking the best times to see specific species. I have some time before my trip, which isn't until the end of August, but I want to be prepared once I'm there. Princeton Guides is supposed to be coming out with a new edition of their guide to the birds of Europe so I plan to buy that one as well once it comes out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

GAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeremy Hatt said...

The most educated comment on my blog to date. Good show!