Sunday, May 22, 2011

May misses cont.

You didn't think my May misses would end the day I returned to Toronto did ya? Certainly I have missed quite a few additional birds since leaving the area...and here they are!

Mystery Gull: A gull with yellow legs showed up at the Tip shortly after my return to the city. Although possibly a Herring Gull, the identification of the bird is still under dispute as people try to figure out the species. Possibilities include Yellow-legged Gull or Caspian Gull.

Laughing Gull - another Tip bird that didn't show up the week I was home or I would have made an effort for it.

Little Gull / Black-headed Gull - two more species that have both showed up at the Hillman Marsh Shorebird Cell after I have got back to the city. I love reading the Friends of Point Pelee birding reports but they are painful at the same time, seeing as they list a number of birds I have no chance to see!

Red-necked Phalarope - seems the Shorebird Cell is the place for misses for me...another phalarope species I'll struggle to get on my 2011 year list. Tomorrow I hope to get Whimbrel in Toronto however!

Western Tanager - the park experienced a 3-species Tanager day! I was not there...of course. The Western Tanager flyby off the tip would have been a lifer for me.

1 comment:

Blake A. Mann said...

Hi Jeremy,
Welcome to the club! Always some good things show up when one leaves.
Whimbrel showed up at Erieau today. They are nice birds to see.