Sunday, February 19, 2012

A few updates

So in the last few weeks I've gone birding a lot and it's been...well, it's been so amazing I can't describe it. A trip to Thunder Bay resulted in 6 lifers, and the decision to try for a bigger year list this year (got Harris's Sparrow, Spotted Towhee, Am. Three-toed Woodpecker, and Gray-crowned Rosy-Finch in one trip so I'm going to have to capitalize on that).

I've also made it to Whitby Harbour a couple times to get Greater White-fronted Goose and to Fort Erie and Niagara Falls for a number of good birds including Thayer's Gull, King Eider (2 different birds!), and Fish Crow (first for Ontario).

Tomorrow I head back to Niagara. It's not a birding-specific trip but I got my friends to agree to at least let me scout the upper falls area for Harlequin Duck and with a little bit of arm-pulling, I will try to get my lifer California Gull as well.

I really want to write more about the Thunder Bay trip and the Niagara Falls trip as well and hopefully I can do so while the memories are fresh.

Trips I plan to take this year: Ottawa, Point Pelee during the month of May, Algonquin (Black-backed Woodpecker and Spruce Grouse), Presque'ile (for Barrow's Goldeneye and then for the OFO Conference in the fall), and if funds are alright and timing is ok, a trip to Rainy River for the first time. I guess I'd have to try for this in June.

However it all turns out, it's going to be one exciting year!

1 comment:

Bob said...

Let me know when you plan to be in Ottawa.