Monday, October 22, 2007

Correction - third White-faced Ibis

In my last entry, I mentioned that the 2007 White-faced Ibis was only the second record for the Pelee Birding Circle. However, Blake (check out his blog in my links section) informed me that this is in fact the third record. Unfortunately, the second (a bird in a local birder's backyard) went unreported and it's possible that an OBRC (Ontario Bird Records Committee) report wasn't written for the sighting. This took place in 2004, a year after the first record. Surprisingly, I wasn't aware of the sighting, but because it went unreported, the 2007 bird remains the second official report for White-faced Ibis in the Pelee Birding Circle. There appears to be an influx of sightings in Ontario for this species and the fact that there were 2 birds in the same week in the southwestern portion of the province may predict that the species will show up more often in future years.

1 comment:

Blake A. Mann said...

I can't remember how I found out about the second White-faced Ibis. It wasn't in a very good location for the public to view, and it was only there briefly. I don't think it was documented yet for the OBRC. Just thought I'd mention it!