Thursday, November 29, 2007

Lifer! Brant (status pending?)



Photo courtesy of "Michael" on the Toronto and Southern Ontario Birding Forum.

On Saturday, a single Brant (pale-bellied) was reported from Harbour Square, Toronto, just west of Queens Quay where the ferries dock to cross to Center Island. The initial reporter mentioned that the bird was probably an escape as it was mingling with some resident Canada Geese in the small park next to the lake and was very easily approached. However, another person posted a reply on Sunday saying the bird actually had an injured leg (extreme swelling of the tarsus) and said that was the reason for the approachability. I decided to investigate (especially seeing as the bird is a lifer for me).

Here is where I attempt to rationalize why I am counting this species:

1) Time of year indicated that it could in fact be a wild-type bird as the report falls within fall migration dates.

2) The injury to the tarsus tells me that the bird stopped in a sheltered place in the small park among Canada geese in a metropolitan area where there is constant food availability and it is safer. Sadly, it could also mean it was injured by a pedestrian (I've seen Canada Geese along the Waterfront trail with injured wings). I believe it's due to the injury that the bird is so approachable (versus escapee). The leg is swollen enough that the bird will take a few steps then rest down on its belly and feed from a sitting position.

3) The bird didn't have any bands, nor did it have a deep belly, often demonstrated by domesticated waterfowl.

4) The bird was flying without any trouble, moving back and forth between the lake and the water (there is no beach here, so the geese have to fly over a railing to get to the lake).

5) I do not know Brant as a common domestic goose, nor do I often hear of escapes. However, when it comes down to it, someone could argue the exact opposite and probably convince me that the bird is uncountable. Perhaps a 6th point in my list could read "I need Brant for my lifelist." I guess I can rest easy on the fact that I'll no doubt get Brant in Ontario in the future.

Any thoughts?

No comments: