Saturday, December 01, 2007

Humber River birding

Well, I don't have much to report from today's trip as the cold brought me back inside and next to my radiators with a blanket and the remote control fairly quickly. Note to self: buy warmer gloves.

I decided to try somewhere different than High Park or Humber Bay East today so I hopped on the streetcar and transferred onto the subway to get to Old Mill Station where the trails run along the Humber River (including Etienne Bule Park, King's Mill Park, and Home Smith Park). My hope was to get Pine Grosbeak but I unfortunately wasn't that lucky. Note to self: don't get hopes up for Pine Grosbeak.

The area is decent for birding with open water that had Mallards, Canada Geese, and Herring and Ring-billed Gulls. In the wooded areas, I found Chickadees, Red-breasted and White-breasted Nuthatch, Juncos, Downy Woodpeckers, Cardinals, a flock of Blue Jays, 3 Purple Finches, 2 Golden-crowned Kinglets, a single Brown Creeper, and two perched Red-tailed Hawks overlooking the river.

I did get some neat mammal sightings though. I saw my second Red Fox for Toronto skulking through the trees near the river. The last time I saw one was at High Park. There was also a Muskrat in the river and once I got home, Jess and I saw a Raccoon in the trees outside our apartment window.

The next time I go out, I think I'll try Humber Bay East again since there are a lot of waterfowl on the lake right now. Note to self: buy warmer gloves.

No comments: