Saturday, March 15, 2008

Is Histrionicus Histrionicus History?

Probably not. The more likely situation? I didn't check every possible place. The trio of Harlequin Ducks has been hanging out at Humber Bay East for weeks now; a male and two females which have been described as being "easy to find" by many. So unless they're actually gone, which I don't think is the case, I'll probably see them soon. I just have to do a more extensive search next time. I was on a schedule today and it was tough to leave the park on such a beautiful day. The snow was melting, I was actually sweating in a hoodie and winter jacket, and I was able to wear my sneakers without my toes freezing solid.

Other birds present were the usual suspects. All three Mergansers, Long-tailed Duck, a ton of Mallard and Canada Geese, the family of Trumpeter Swans, Gadwall, Scaup, Redhead, Common Goldeneye, Bufflehead, and a few Horned Grebes. A singing Cardinal was a nice addition. Apparently the temperature is supposed to drop tonight but I hope it doesn't stay cold for long. It only takes one day like today to really bring on the winter weariness.

And as a last note, congratulations on getting married, Marianne!!!

Update: As I expected, the male Harlequin was reported today between 4:30-6:00pm. I'll be back out there looking for it tomorrow then! This time I'm checking every spot.

1 comment:

Blake A. Mann said...

It was a very nice day to get out! Things are still quite frozen at Point Pelee, so not many ducks were to be seen.
I hope Marianne had fun today!