Wednesday, January 09, 2013

Canada Big Year - Matt Timpf

I would like to bring attention to the Big Year of my good friend, Matt Timpf, who has decided to do a CANADA Big Year in 2013. As soon as I heard, I got very excited as he's a great birder, a great person to bird w/, and well, a great person in general. I wish him the best of luck! I hope I can get him on at least a few rarities in the Pelee Area since Ontario will be his home base during the year. He was also extremely helpful at finding birds for my pursuit to 300 last year in Ontario so I owe him some birds. He is currently planning a trip to the east coast followed by a trip to the west.

I highly recommend checking out his blog. For me, it will be a good way to see what birds are easier/harder to find in areas of the country that I haven't been able to birdwatch yet. I'm also curious to find out what the current record is and how many species one can expect to find in Canada in a calendar year if they put the work in. And of course, w/ any endeavor like this, the birds are wonderful, but it's as much about the discovery of new places and the people that you meet along the way that make a Big Year worthwhile.

Here is a link to Matt's blog: http://canadabigyear2013.wordpress.com/

No comments: